2004 - 2005




2004 - 2005

U15 Reports





Mansfield  27

Matlock     14

A full strength Matlock side took to the field and dominated many aspects of set play throughout the match. The game was lost through lackluster tackling and the inability to take advantage. Mansfield led 7 nil at half time and conceded two tries to Matlock early in the second half. Quick ball put Mike Gunter into space inside the Matlock half. He sprinted past three despairing tacklers and touched down under the posts.

Straight from the restart Matthew Webster ripped the ball from a ruck and set off for the posts from 50 meters. Mike Gunter added both conversions to give Matlock a 7-point lead. Instead of continuing with the pressure and secure the victory, Matlock lost composure and concentration allowing the inept refereeing decisions to dispirit them. The defence crumbled gifting Mansfield four late tries to claim a victory that Matlock should have denied them.





Matlock U15    57

Buxton 7pts.

All credit goes to Buxton RFC in fulfilling this fixture even though most of the side are U14 players.

Dogged defence from the visitors denied Matlock any scoring opportunities until the 20th minute when Mike Gunter from a kick ahead, pressured the full back, gathered the ball to score. Mike had a superb day scoring three more tries and converting six out of nine tries, an impressive total of thirty-two points. Buxton kept Matlock deep in their own half for long periods of play and were justly awarded with a converted try. The half closed Matlock 19 Buxton 7. Unable to maintain their resistance Buxton then conceded tries to James Shooter, Matthew Webster(2), Tom Bestwick and a first ever try for the team by Second Row Chris Giles. Things might be different when Matlock host local rivals Chesterfield in two weeks time.



Matlock U15             46

Ilkeston U15            15

The final score line might convey an easy victory but Matlock had a real forwards battle against a big Ilkeston pack. It was sheer pace and quick handling from all players that produced some exhilarating rugby on a cold and wet morning. James Shooter at fly half was involved in many of the moves with intelligent distribution of the ball or solo breaks to open up the opposition defence. Ilkeston were unable to contain Mike Gunter who opened the scoring after just a few minutes. Matthew Webster produced a solo effort of sheer strength to run in the second from 55 meters with the touchline kick being converted by Mike Gunter. Poor defending allowed Ilkeston to score and then concede a try to Robert Fox. Mike Gunter brought the half to a close with another solo effort grounding the ball between the posts.

At 24 – 5 Matlock did not start the second half in the same manner and allowed Ilkeston to score two more tries. This was enough to spur the home side and further tries from Luke Christian, Matthew Webster, George Stephenson and Lewis Martin ending a hard fought but justly deserved victory for Matlock





West Bridgford U15 10

Matlock U15             14


Matlock recorded their first victory in emphatic form with an excellent all round team performance.

The pack played as a unit, controlling most of the scrums and lineout. The three quarter line attacking at every opportunity, creating a platform for the loose forwards to exploit the rucks and mauls. The home side worked tirelessly on their defence and managed to thwart several Matlock attacks near their line. West Bridgford opened the scoring with a quick three quarter move and a winger scoring in the corner.

From a ruck 35meters out, Matthew Webster broke loose and handed off three despairing tacklers to open the score. The game proved to be a tight affair until Mike Gunter ran in an excellent individual try from 50 meters, touching down between the posts. Tom Bestwick converted both. Half time saw Matlock facing down a sloping pitch and although they kept the opposition pinned in their own territory, could not capitalize on the advantage. On several occasions West Bridgford broke loose and managed to bring the score back to 10-14. Excellent cover defence from the Matlock three quarters denied them any further scoring opportunities and the game ended as the confidence boost the side needed for the remainder of the season.  





Matlock U15  15

Lincoln  U15  29


Back to full strength Matlock took the game to Lincoln right from the start and dominated the opening minutes of this encounter. The Matlock pack had total control of all the scrums and lineouts throughout the game and it was only poor tackling that allowed Lincoln to run in their tries. Lincoln opened the score and Matlock immediately replied from a scrum 20 yards out. Tom Bestwick playing his first full game at No 8 picked up and drove for the line. Tackled short, he offloaded to Joe Booth to score.


The half time score was 5 –10 to Lincoln. The visitors increased their lead to 17 points before Matthew Webster scored. The game went end to end before Matlock were awarded a penalty on the halfway. Quick hands down the line saw the ball with Mike Gunter who accelerated past the despairing cover defence to run in a try from 50 meters. Lincoln proved to be the better side at the breakdown throughout this encounter as Matlock gifted them possession from which they scored two more tries to take the victory.






Matlock U15   0

Glossop U15 50


The weather forecast for the day was for severe storms sweeping in from the west. The weather remained calm and the only tempest was a Glossop side intent on a high-octane performance. Matlock, short of players through injury and unavailability, worked hard to contain the opposition but could not defend against a free running and well-drilled squad. James Shooter and Joe Booth worked hard all through the match to stem the flow of tries with effective tackling but Matlock were always on the back foot. The second half saw a more committed performance by all of the home side with Chris Giles making two shuddering tackles in open play. Glossop handed out lessons in continuity and possession in this sporting encounter played in the best of spirits by both sides.





Matlock 10 

Mansfield 22

Mansfield walked away with the points but newly appointed skipper George Stephenson and the squad triumphed in this closely contested seasons opener at the Meadows. Pride and determination were the cornerstones of a great display from every member of the team. Joe Booth, Daniel Byrne and Tom Bestwick soon turned robust defence into attack in loose play. A well drilled Mansfield side confronted James Shooter and Mike Gunther whose mid field tackling thwarted the oppositions attempts to run the ball. Newcomers to rugby Tyrone Elton and Daniel Malloy exemplified the spirit of the team with excellent individual performances. At half time Mansfield led by 17 points to nil. 


Matlock battered away and Daniel Byrne picked up loose ball at a ruck close to the Mansfield line and drove through the defence to touch down. From a 22 dropout by Matlock the only serious lapse in concentration allowed Mansfield to run wide of the defence to score. The kickoff saw Matlock immediately put Mansfield under pressure. Exploiting the short side, George Stephenson then Luke Christian drove for the line.

No 8 Joe Booth was stopped short, yet epitomized the determination of the squad by reaching out and planting the ball for the second score.